When you’re our director of finance, you manage multiple projects — and the teams assigned to those projects. You report directly to the COO. You assign and train talent. You’re a team leader and motivator. You’re an expert in finance and accounting for life science and technology start-ups.
You’re a member of the Engine Room management team. You exude our values and culture internally and externally. You help drive the growth of the business.
These are the specific skills and responsibilities you contribute:
- Deep knowledge of operations and industry trends. You’ll regularly advise clients on a range of operational and strategic issues.
- Experience playing multiple roles, in diverse industries, in larger companies, public and private.
- Sharp communication chops. You’re great at explaining and communicating complex accounting issues.
- The experience and knowledge to serve as an expert resource for your team.
- Ideally, you’re a CPA with a financial degree, and/or a seasoned senior manager.
- Ability to manage complex projects and situations.
- Excellent problem solver, whether the issue is concrete and tactical or abstract and strategic. Whenever necessary, you define and resolve issues effectively.
- A great time manager, you produce client deliverables on budget and on schedule.
- Manage multiple clients, projects and project teams — with minimal supervision or management direction. Lead and motivate teams.
- Primary client contact, with ultimate responsibility for delivering services stated in SOW, on time and on budget.
- Own overall project quality control and client satisfaction.
- A pro-active manager, you think ahead and anticipate client needs.
- Review or prepare financial statements and budgets, and present them to management and the board.
- Provide financial expertise in planning.
- Develop policies, procedures and controls for clients.
- Research and resolve accounting issues.
- Help clients manage cash flow, banking and insurance, and negotiate contracts.
- Collaborate with COO to:
- Understand project scope, budget and timing of deliverables, then communicate that info to project teams.
- Interpret, define and communicate changes in project scope.
- Provide updates to project teams on client plans and activities.
- Deliver timely feedback on quality work to project teams.
- Review client performance, including profitability, performance to budget — hours and financial — and client satisfaction.
- Improve efficiency and margins.
- Help review resumes and interview talent.
- Contribute to biz dev, on occasion.
- Take on other duties or projects, as assigned.
The Director of Finance reports to the COO.
- Energetic, warm, positive, supportive culture
- Exceptional collection of finance and accounting talent
- Vibrant, growing company
- Inspirational, visionary clients making meaningful breakthroughs
- Start-up thrills, without the risk
- Flexibility and quality of life
- Endless opportunities for learning and growth
- Outstanding selection of snacks